VW Beetles

I'm in the process of restoring a 1964 'small window' VW Beetle. i know nothing about cars BUT i'm learning as i go. It's a present for my wife, she loves them, i wanted to have a 'hobby' at home so i bought this!

Posted Image

So far, she's been stripped down, 95% of the welding done, currently being re-wired. Next, interior refit then engine overhaul inc 12v conversion. Refit engine, test, pull out engine, do body work, sand, paint (my mate owns a paint shop), rebuild, engine back in, interior finished, etc..etc. Sounds so easy when i type it ;) i don't have a plan/schedule, just doing bits when i can here and there. Money is the big issue. Not doing a FULL restoration, just want a useable everyday car at the end of it, not a showroom model. Going to be a sort of classic 'CAL' look i reckon by the time it's done.

Posted Image

I'm in the process of restoring a 1964 'small window' VW Beetle. i know nothing about cars BUT i'm learning as i go. It's a present for my wife, she loves them, i wanted to have a 'hobby' at home so i bought this!

I loved old "beetles" since ... since I remember.

For me they look better than a lot of new cars (designs).

I've seen some weird modifications :

tri-cycle

limo

classic

monster truck

buggy

hot rod

But I still think classic or cabrio are the best :)

Good luck with your work/plan of restoring it.

@Mos, I hear VW beetles are very, very simple cars to work on.

Every car is "very very simple" to work on if you know how to deal with them.

Same will say someone who works with (worked on) <add your brand here>.

I know a person that said the same about BMW , when he was repairing my "Bavaria".

TheMos wrote he doesnt have a clue about cars so beetle or BMW it doesnt make a difference for him.

Beetles are simple cars to repair/fix. Also, parts are readily available from the large support network of suppliers. modern cars, while still basically the same, reply alot more on electronics (esp. BMW's) so a different point of view is needed, alot more diagnosis equipment for example.

air cooled simple engines, removed with just a troley jack, chassic-off construction - easy mechanics

Every car is "very very simple" to work on if you know how to deal with them.

Same will say someone who works with (worked on) <add your brand here>.

I know a person that said the same about BMW , when he was repairing my "Bavaria".

Not really? That's the same thing as saying it's "very, very simple" to do brain surgery if you know how to deal with brains.

Beetles are mechanically, very simple. For example, massive body panels like the bonnet and doors come off with two bolts and so on compared to more modern cars on which you could spend 3 hours removing a bumper.

Not really? That's the same thing as saying it's "very, very simple" to do brain surgery if you know how to deal with brains.

Who said brain surgery is hard/difficult ?

The only reason more people dont do/perform them is ... that you have to be a certificated/qualified surgeon (no I didnt write it from the air , but from experience of people about which I wrote earlier) [of course I was writing about legit operations , not black market , there everyone is "qualified"].

But getting back to the subject , you missed the first part of this thread on purpose or you are just trying to show again that you are always right and noone else has that right ?

Cuz thats how all of the threads in which you try to reply (about anything) end up.

In the beginning TheMoS wrote he doesnt have any idea about cars , so as I said , every car would be difficult for that kind of person.

About my example that you were so kind to quote , my "friend" never had a car and he repairs all BMW(s) that people bring to him (old/new doest matter) just because he was a bus mechanic for over 35 years.

Not knowing anything about something makes you "newbie" , so dont tell me that someone who doesnt have a clue about mechanic cares if doors/panels are scrweed or bolted.

3hours removing a bumper ? Thats a good example of someone who doesnt have a clue about something but still trying to do it (if we arent talking about tanks).

( I wont reply again , so no worries , about me being stupid again )

Edited by Stiuart

• 2 months later...

Hi TheMos , nice project.Im a 23 years timed served mechanic/auto electrician if you need any help or advice please contact me on here or on xfire.my xfire is Zeddzz.Good luck with the project:))

ps nice car

Fancy building me a loom? i'm stuck at the moment!!!! thanks for the offer though!

the old loom was mostly removed during all the welding so there's very little left, scraps at best! needs making from scratch. Got the wiring diagram, i was going to have a go myself at making it, i'm ok with electrical stuff and a crimper!

Cheapest i can find a repro one was £350

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62.jpg

it wasn't a serious offer, i know it's a big job. just can't afford it at the moment after the work so far on it.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

ahem.

Well...

errmm..

Nope. Missus quit her job in December and we've been putting everything (money and time!) into setting up her own business, so i've had zero spare cash. HOWEVER, i just got a wedge back on my PPI claim so i'm re-starting it this summer! I've had to get that loom AND some extra welding done and the battery harness. Soon as the garage is a bit cleared, i'm making a start!

it's like a fine wine - getting finer! plus, i'm still not losing any money on it :P

thats my most recent excuse!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.