How to add alterIW to Xfire

Hey, just a quick tutorial on how to add alterIW to your Xfire so you can enable Xfire ingame to record videos, take screenshots or just chat ingame.

(First you have to make sure that you got alterIW installed in the following path :

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2

Looks like this

That's the steam path for the game on Windows 7. It may vary from OS to OS.

If you don't have these folders, you need to create them first.)

Tipp by James : http://www.epicdot.com/forum/showthread.php?843-How-to-add-alterIW-to-Xfire&p=3333&viewfull=1#post3333

Next Step : Configure your Xfire_games.ini :

Go to :

C:\ProgramData\Xfire
And open xfire_games.ini using your favorite text editor and hit CTRL+F

Search for '5993'.

You should now arrive at a textblock beginning with [5993] which stands for the game ID in Xfire.

Simply replace the few rows with the following :

[5993]LongName=Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 MultiplayerShortName=codmw2mLauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\InstallPathLauncherExe=iw4mp.exeDetectExe=iw4mp.datLaunch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% -applaunch 10190 %UA_LAUNCHER_EXTRA_ARGS% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%InGameRenderer=D3D9InGameFlags=USE_PRESENT|USE_SWAPCHAIN|ENABLE_MOUSE|USE_DINPUT_MOUSE

Save by hitting CTRL+S.

Now go to your Xfire, Tools -> Options -> Games Tab -> If its not in your installed games list , add MW2 by searching it in the "Not installed" list and add it manually by searching the path and selecting the .exe needed.

And you're done ! Xfire should now detect MW2 as soon as you start it :o

Note : You have to repeat this everytime Xfire has an update, so it might be usefull to create a .txt in your C:\ProgramData\Xfire folder with the text that needs to be replaced.

So everytime an Xfire update comes out, which won't be too often, you need to do these quick steps :

Go to C:\ProgramData\Xfire and open Xfire_games.ini. Hit CTRL+F and search for 5993. Replace the 7 or 8 rows of text that stand under the [5993] with the text posted above. Save. Open Xfire, Tools -> Options -> Games Tab and MW2 should be added, if not add it manually. Done.

Edited by tactical

nice tutorial, but i need to mention, do not install aIW to this path: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2

Because if you do and you have a steam account with other games you will most likely get your Steam account banned or VAC banned.

Better to install aIW to:

32bit: C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2

64bit: C:\Program Files(x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2

nice tutorial, but i need to mention, do not install aIW to this path: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2

Because if you do and you have a steam account with other games you will most likely get your Steam account banned or VAC banned.

Better to install aIW to:

32bit: C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2

64bit: C:\Program Files(x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2

Oh well thanks for the advice ! But I didn't have any problems yet with that :D

I also rarely use steam maybe that's why.

@xShockwav3z

Yeah I used to use patchers like this but it outdated my xfire_games.ini all the time which means that it replaced my whole xfire_Games.ini with an older one that didn't have newer games in it.. Not sure about the one that you posted but that was my experience... Also not very hard to do it manually :D

After looking at all those colours and the way it was written I wouldnt be surprised if most people wouldnt get it.

In the end its just copy 3 (maybe 4) lines and paste in your file.

But the way it is posted here it makes it look like something for NASA scientists.

No idea why people are trying to help making those few easy steps harder.

LOL good one Stiuart

Thats how it looks/goes :)

When Whoops wrote me about this few months ago he wrote it in (as I wrote earlier) 3 - 4 lines.

And I made all changes in maybe 5mins (adding short break for toilet visit).

This one takes 3 - 4 mins to read for some people that dont understand english too clearly.

( You would really have to try to make it even harder )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.